A Bit Of History‎ > ‎

Railroad Timeline


Darrington Logging Timeline


Sources For This Page:
Darrington, Mining Town/Timber Town by Elizabeth S. Palmer
Tesse Howard
Finas Skeers
Harold Engles
Historic Railroad Survey
Paul D. Curtiss, Washington State Railroads Historical Society
Darrington Historical Society

Photo: Dannehar locomotive heading out of Darrington, from Darrington Historical Society




Showing 20 items
OperationRailroad NameMiles & LocationComments
Sort 
 
Sort 
 
Sort 
 
Sort 
 
OperationRailroad NameMiles & LocationComments
1906 - 1913 United States Lumber Company .75 miles - Darrington Company incorporated March 7th, 1906. Trustees were T.J. Butcher, George W. Butcher & W. F. White. During operations the US Lumber Company and other plaintiffs successfully stopped the June 2, 1910, election for incorporating Darrington. On July 5, 1910, a election was held throughout Snohomish County for the purpose of submitting to a vote the question of putting into force the Local Option Law. As a result, the county went dry, except in incorporated areas that made their own choices. Darrington went dry with the rest of the county, and the town stayed unincorporated until 1945. Operations ceased in 1913 
1907 - 1910 Standard Railway & Timber Company 12 miles - Hazel & Boulder River Company incorporated in 1905, tracks were completed in 1907. Operations was the first National Forest timber sale authorised by President Theodore Roosevelt.  
1909 - 1912 Boulder Railway & Timber Company 12 miles - Boulder River and Hazel Previously Standard Railway & Timber Company 
1909 - unknown McCaughey Mill Company 3 miles - Fortson McCaughey Lumber Company – Standard Railroad Incorporated October 25,1905, organized by Hugh L. McCaughey (1857-1947), Frederick J. McCaughey (1864-1937) and Brother William H. McCaughey (1875-1940). October 1, 1914 to September 30, 1916 operations were stricken from the Washington State list of companies while the McCaughey & McCaughey Sawmill rebuilds after a fire. 1916 Joe Irving operates the railroad later changing the name to Standard Railway 1931 operations discontinued.  
1910 - 1922 Dannehar Logging Company 18 miles - South of Darrington Incorporated on November 25, 1907. The company was to be capitalized at $500,000. The trustees were Clara Alber, Indiana-born Tacoma Attorney Frank S Blattner (December 4, 1866 - January 13, 1913), Cornelius Douglas Danaher (August 2, 1857 - March 17, 1921), Wife Lillian A Danaher (1859 - ) and Ernest E Hamilton (1877 - August 10, 1948). Cornelius D Danaher was the first President. On March 17, 1921 Mr. Dannehar was found drowned in the Puget Sound under questionable circumstances, possibly because of labor relations with other logging operations. Company operation ceased in 1922 
1913 - 1923 Fortson Logging company 2 miles - Fortson Incorporated on May 19, 1913. The company was to be capitalized at $6,000. Georgia-born Seattle Attorney George Hayley Fortson (1860 - 1899) owned the company Trustees included Lee Erastus Dickinson (1871 - 1940), Joseph Kohout and Royal Herbert Lamson (1870 – 1934). The company constructed and operated a two mile, 42 inch gauge, logging railroad from Fortson. The company name was dissolved on December 19, 1918. The mill was purchase in 1923 by the Klement and Kennedy operation.  
1916 - 1934 The Sound Timber Company 18 miles - North of Darrington Sound Timber company Incorporated Jan 14, 1900, owned by Weyerhaeuser Timber Company Operations began 1916, logging engineer W C Harvie. Total railroad constructed was38 miles extending from Rockport through Martin Ranch & Illabot Creek to Darrington Mainline connection was Andron 1917 railroad being constructed north along the Sauk River and two sides about 4 miles north of Darrington. 1927 railroad added to Martin Ranch and Illabot Creek area. Logging continued in these areas for several years with trains connecting at the mainline at Andron on a daily basis. 1938, (circa) railroad added to west bank of Sauk River and east to Finney Creek. A new 1,023 foot railroad bridge was built in late 1939 crossing the Sauk River about 4 miles south of Rockport. 1941, (circa) Logging completed, this was to be the last of the Sound Timber operations. 1944 on September 5th, the company was sold to the Washington Veneer Company. One of their locomotives was Lima Locomotive Corporation Number 2765. 
1917 - 1927 Big Fir Logging Company 2 miles - unknown Filed Articles of Incorporation in Washington, Fifteenth Biennial Report, Washington State Office of the Secretary of State, October 1, 1916 to September 30, 1918. According to the Surveyors of the State of Washington, Jerry C Olson, February 27, 2011, there was a railroad right-of-way survey completed in 1917. Operations ceased in 1927. 
1918 - 1919 Washington Spar Works Company unknown miles - Darrington Incorporated on October 14, 1918 by H R Bartlett and Henry Gay. The company was to be capitalized at $50,000. On May 23, 1919, the company was reorganized as the Washington Lumber and Spar Company 
1918 - unknown Denhart Logging Company 2 miles - unknown Organized in about 1918. The company constructed and operated a two mile logging railroad in the Darrington area. Snohomish  
1919 - 1928 Washington Lumber & Spar Company 4 miles - Darrington Incorporated on May 23, 1919 as successor the Washington Spar Works Company. The company was to be capitalized at $100,000. The organizers were H R Bartlett and W G Savage. Operations ceased in February 1928 
1921 1936 Klement And Kennedy 6 miles - Fortson Incorporated on June 8, 1920 and purchased the company old idle Fortson Logging Company Mill. Trustees were, Charles Thomas Kennedy (1871 - 1935) was President and Theodore M Klement (1880 - 1957) was General Manager. The company constructed and operated a six mile logging railroad in the Darrington and Fortson area. Operations began in 1923. Their locomotives were a Lima Locomotive and Machine Company Number 2294. Operations ceased in 1936. 
1922 - 1922 AF Anderson Logging Company 5 miles - Darrington (Previously Danneher Logging) Organized in 1922 as successor to part of the Danaher Lumber Company, an 18 mile logging railroad in the Darrington area and in the Port Orchard area. Aaron F Anderson was the first President. The company operated a 5 mile logging railroad in the Darrington area. One of their locomotives was Lima Locomotive Works, Inc Number 3148. On September 7, 1922, the company was reorganized as Andron Logging Company. 
1922 - 1928 Andron 10 miles - North Of Darrington Incorporated on September 7, 1922 as successor to the A F Anderson Logging Company, a five mile logging railroad in the Darrington area. The company was to be capitalized at $100,000. The company operated a five mile logging railroad in the Darrington area. One of their locomotives was Lima Locomotive and Machine Company Number 1729, along with Number 1948. In November 1927, Fred C Anderson was reported as President. Operations ceased in 1928 in the Snohomish County area. In January 1928, Fred MacFarlane (1875 - October 1, 1948) was reported as General Manager. 
1923 - 1933 Lamson Logging company 4 miles - Lamson/LDR Mill Incorporated on March 10, 1918. The company was to be capitalized at $32,500. The organizers were E E Lamson and Royal Herbert Lamson (1870 - November 19, 1934). Lee Erastus Dickinson (1871 - June 27, 1940) served as a trustee. The company constructed and operated a four mile logging railroad in the Darrington area. They enjoyed a connection with the Northern Pacific Railroad Company at Barco. Some references show this as the Lamson Brothers Logging Company. Operations ceased on June 12, 1943. One of their locomotives was Lima Locomotive Works, Inc Number 3014. The company name was dissolved on June 26, 1944.  
1923 - unknown Jamison Shingle Company 14 miles - unknown Organized in 1910 by Minnesota-born Neil C Jamison (June 6, 1886 - September 25, 1958) of Everett. Listed as an active company in the Eighteenth Biennial Report, Washington State Office of the Secretary of State, October 1, 1922 to September 30, 1924 and the Nineteenth Biennial Report, Washington State Office of the Secretary of State, October 1, 1924 to September 30, 1926 - Snohomish 
1924 - 1952 Sauk River Logging Company 38 miles - Darrington (Was peviously Dannehar) Incorporated on April 1, 1922 and organized in 1924. The company was to be capitalized at $300,000. Minnesota-born Neil C Jamison (1886 - 1958) of Everett was President. The company constructed and operated a 35 mile logging railroad in the Darrington area. One of their locomotives was Lima Locomotive Corporation Number 2597. The company had acquired 400 million feet of timber from the United States Lumber Company and another 35 million from the Forest Service. By 1947. Operations ceased in 1952 and the company name was dissolved on July 31, 1956.  
1941 - 1952 Washington Veneer Company 50 miles - Darrington Organized in 1941 as a part subsidiary of the Weyerhaeuser Timber Company. On September 5, 1944, the company merged the Sound Timber Company, a 34 mile logging railroad extending from Rockport to Darrington. The company operated a 50 mile logging railroad in the Darrington area. In 1947, the company was sold to the Georgia - Pacific Corporation. However, the rails were later removed and the railroad was gone by the end of World War II 
1945 - unknown Davidson Logging Company 1 mile - unknown Organized in about 1942. The company constructed and operated a one mile logging railroad in the Darrington area. Wes Davidson was the Son of the owner. When they closed in the 1950s, the whole family moved to Alaska 
unknown F & M Logging Company unknown Incorporation dates unknown, They operated a logging railroad in the Darrington area. One of their locomotives was from the Climax Manufacturing Company Number 249, which they inherited from the B H and M Lumber Company Ceased date of operation unknown. 
Showing 20 items