Darrington Area

A Pictorial Of Darrington's History

The Queen's Float in the Timberbowl Parade,
The town of Darrington built their "new" city hall building in 1945 which had the fire department on the street level, jail and courtroom in the basement.  The middle floor was the mayor and city clerks and top floor being a community center with a dance floor.  The community came together to plan a fundraiser for the next summer to buy a new firetruck.  The event was given the name "Timberbowl", the name became known from near and far as this event grew over the decades with its famous bluegrass music, logging competitions, parade and rodeo.  

Going traveling out on the Sauk Prairie, (driver Mark Reece)
Photo from Robin Wood

Though the Sauk Prairie does not seem that far away from Darrington today, it was a considerable trip at one time.  At first by fording the river,
then a cabled suspention bridge and later a steel bridge for modern vehicle travel.  Electricity and phone service came significantly later to the prairie,
and some homes not until the 1960s.


Danaher Logging Camp,
photo from the Darrington Historical Society

Danaher built a state of the art mobile logging camp with bunkhouses, a cookhouse & tool shops that traveled on logging railroads to work sites where they
would set up camps.  These camps moved six times with their last trip being brought down to the town of Darrington where they were sold.  Look around
town and see if you can spot some of these buildings and how they are used today.  Some are still used today as dwellings, the Catholic Church, and
other places of business.
The first train to Darrington,
photo from the Darrington Historical Society

The first train rolled into Darrington July 22nd, 1901 with a big celebration!  Darrington and the N.F. Stillaguamish Valley was connected
with the outside world and things would never be the same again.  Live revolved around the daily trips of the train to town, bringing up equipment
for the mills, visitors & loved ones to town from "down below" (from down river), and needed supplies such as the 300 pounds of ice
delivered weekly to supply Darrington's first ice-cream parlor.  On the way back "down below" the train hitched up flat cars along the sidings
of lumber as it returned.
Homestead near Fortson, Washington,
photo from the Darrington Historical Society

Fortson, at one time was a good size community with a thriving mill.  What remains today is the ruins of the mill and the two millponds, just 9 miles
west of Darrington along SR 530.   SR 530 is south of this this historical site and the old railroad grade to the north which is now the Whitehorse Trail
Snohomish County has purchased part of the old Fortson Mill land for a future trailhead and park.