A Bit Of History‎ > ‎Schools‎ > ‎

Hazel "Higgins" School

 The second Hazel School in 1922, photo from Hazel Holms
 
The first school at Hazel, Washington opened in 1904 and was a simple school house made from cedar boards that were cut on site.   The growing community quickly out grew this school. The second school was named Higgins School after early homesteader Walter B. Higgins was built the following year in 1905 . High flood waters from the Stillaguamish River damaged much of the settlement of Hazel and including the school in 1924.  The school was permanently closed and the district consolidated with the Darrington School District #319.  The Hazel students attended the Whitehorse School.  The old Hazel School was salvaged and relocated, used as a dwelling, then later a chicken house.  In 1945-46 the Whitehorse School closed and all students bused to the Darrington School.
 
According to Hazel Holms, now deceased, in 1922, some of the students at the Higgins School were, Mildred O'Conner and Albert Ensen in the 7th grade, Bill Pierson in the 5th grade, Blanche and Hazel Knights in the 2nd grade, Helen and Elizabeth Jackson, Nancy Ann Kann and Hazel _____ .