A Bit Of History‎ > ‎

Darrington Ghost Towns

At one time there were small settlements, camps and even towns all along the valleys of the Stillaguamish, Suiattle and Sauk Rivers.  This a collection of some of the history of the yesteryear of these places.  Some of these historic places today only bear their names on maps such as Tulker, Rowan or C-Post etc.  Some places leave a legacy of historic buildings, mines or ruins like like echos of the past.
The ruins of Fortson Mill

Early day logging and working at the mill was a long hard days work, not just for the man of the house but for the whole family.  Children helped by doing a long list of chores to help put food on the table.  Wives were running the household as well as the farms while their husbands were off working at the logging camps way up in the woods.  Timber related jobs such as logging, working at the mills or on the railroads was abundant and people came to the valleys to build their lives.  Learn more about the mill-towns and settlements of the past in the Darrington area.

The mine at Snow Gulch

Mining around Darrington all started in 1889 when gold was discovered deep in the Cascade Mountain Range at a place that will later be known as Monte Cristo.  Prospectors poured into the area and several mining claims were established around the Darrington area as well.  Millions of dollars poured into the area from wealthy investors and tunnels were drilled and blasted deep into the mountainsides looking for that big strike.  Miles of roads and mining trams were constructed to bring out the rich ore deposits from those remote jagged peaks.  Although such deposits of silver, gold, iron, copper etc. were found, that big gold strike was never discovered.  Prospectors began to pull up claims and head on to the Klondike and investors withdrew their money.  Mining history still lingers in the valleys and mountains and small time prospectors still hold claims, the mining audits can still be seen from hiking trails such Snow Gulch and some of the trails we hike today like the Neiderprum Trail were routes to mining claims.
Other Communities:
  • Boulder - precinct 1894 to 1900, once had a store.
  • Fourtner - now a name of a street, named after Hickey Fourtner & at one time had a post office date unkown.
  • Glendale - the original name for Trafton.  Post office was filed on Mar 1889 by Mr. Trafton  & name changed.
  • Irving - precinct 1910 to 1920, named after Joseph Irving
  • Jim Creek - named by D.O. Pearson for Jim Conrad, native American. Original power plant for Arlington.
  • Lamson - named after Royal Lamson Sr. adjacent to logging railroad spur & L.D.R. Sawmill.
  • Orient - small settlement with store and post office started by the Mr. & Mrs Morhouse, 17 miles S.E. of Darrington. Named by Mrs. Moorehouse claiming it was so far it was on the other side of the world.   Started 1892 washed out in 1898.
  • Oso - first named Allen when post office was filed in 1889.  John B. Allen was a Delegate to WA Congress & later a US Senate.  Due to several towns named Allen name changed to Oso meaning bear in Spanish.
  • Pueblo - store & post office filed June 18, 1894 & discontinued April 25, 1896.  Pueblo was located on Swede Heaven just before the river bridge crossing.
  • Punkin Town - neighborhood of southern Darrington.  Had a mill & railroad spur.  Named after town in their native North Carolina.